Becoming a mom is one of the most rewarding and life-changing experiences for a woman. After pregnancy, the body undergoes several changes that make most new moms feel less confident. First, there will be contractions in the uterus as it shrinks back into the pelvis. The body will begin to shed the water weight from the extra blood during pregnancy, which means lots of trips to the bathroom. The breasts will feel tender, engorged and perhaps even painful regardless of whether you’re breastfeeding or not. There are also significant hormonal changes that will be taking a toll on the emotions. Therefore, do not be surprised when feeling a bit blue and moody. As a new mom, you will not only be trying to adjust to the new life and new baby, but also to a new body. Here are valuable tips on how to get confidence back after having a baby.
Improve the Body Image
Pregnancy may cause body image problems for some women. The body goes through several changes including weight gain and various hormonal changes. Hormonal changes cause the breast and stomach to increase in size as the baby grows and the body prepares for breastfeeding. For women who gain lots of weight, participating in a weight loss program may prove beneficial even if they do not lose much weight as they hoped. A good weight-reduction plan should include a focus on physical activities and healthy eating. For women who are underweight and have a negative body image, they should consider working with a doctor or nurse to gain weight in a healthy way and treat any health issues they may have.
More importantly, practice thinking positively about yourself and avoid negative thoughts about the new body. This will make you more confident about who you really are and how you look. In addition, develop positive self-talk, such as “My Body is Healthy and Beautiful” or “I have Beautiful Eyes”. By repeating these phrases more frequently, you will be able to counter any negative thoughts you may have in the head. Remember to avoid people who make negative remarks about your new body. Be sure to check out Moms Into Fitness to learn more about creating a healthy, positive sense of the body after having a baby.
One of the primary reasons new moms lose confidence after having a baby is because of the change in their figure and weight. Although the body cannot possibly recover overnight from carrying a child for nine months and undergoing a long painful delivery process or C-section, there are many things moms can do to get back their body figure fast. First, consider going out for long walks with the baby in a stroller or carry the baby in a swaddle blanket if it is more convenient for you. Light jogging or pushing the stroller can also be beneficial for moms who have gotten their strength back. In addition, there are numerous exercise programs that are tailored to help new moms recover after pregnancy, such as yoga for mommies and babies.
Get Rid of Stretch Marks
Stretch marks are perfectly natural, but no woman wants to have them. Research shows that nearly 90 percent of pregnant women are affected by stretch marks. Stretch marks are a common skin problem that occurs due to sudden weight loss or weight gain, pregnancy or puberty. Stretch marks especially those caused by pregnancy cannot be prevented, but there are lotions and creams that promise to do so. The best way to prevent stretch marks is to eat a healthy diet and take a lot of water. Here are some ways moms can get rid of stretch marks after having a baby.
- Black Tea Massage:
- Black tea massage is a highly effective and fast way of getting rid of stretch marks at home. This is because Black Tea is rich in Vitamins B, C, and E and contains minerals such as zinc, magnesium, and potassium. Apart from helping you get rid of stretch marks, drinking black tea helps you boost your immune system. It also encourages digestive traction to function properly and strengthens bones and connective tissues.
- Laser Therapy
- : This one of the newest and fastest to get rid of stretch marks after pregnancy. Laser therapy is a non-surgical procedure that entails using a beam of light to break down stretch marks while enhancing the appearance of the skin. The process takes less than thirty minutes to complete and offers long-lasting results. Laser therapy can be used on all types of skin. In fact, the
- American Society of Dermatologic Surgery (ASDS)
- recommends laser treatment as the only proven way of removing stretch marks fast.
- Also called collagen induction therapy or micro-needling, Dermarollers are very effective when it comes to removing all types of stretch marks. Dermarollers are only used by professionals.
- A research carried out by the American Medical Association and published on the JAMA Network indicated that nearly 0.1 percent of retinoic acid (Tretinoin) can lessen the presence of stretch marks in just a few weeks. Retin-A gets into the upper layer of the skin and elicits collagen production, which explains how it helps you get rid of stretch marks.
Buy New Clothes
Consider buying new clothing as this will help in boosting your mood as well as enhancing your silhouette. Get some new undergarments that make you feel more comfortable in and that will help complement the new body. Your bra size has probably changed; get it measured by a professional. A good pair of fitted jeans is something you should really consider adding to your wardrobe. Do not forget to treat yourself with a pair that fits well with your body. Higher waist styles are ideal for shaping a less-than-taut tummy.
Eat a Balanced Diet
Eating a balanced diet is not just good for you, but also for the baby. A poor diet can result in tiredness, low energy and even make you angry and impatient. Do not skip any meals. Take time to learn some new recipes that are easy to pull together and stock the cupboards and fridge with healthy ingredients and snacks.
Most moms feel less confident about their new post-baby body. Over 40 percent admit that they feel more self-conscious in front of their partner. With a good understanding of the above tips, you will certainly feel better about your appearance.