Bridesmaids have always played a very crucial part in every woman’s wedding, isn’t it? So, it is pretty obvious that they have to look as good as the bride herself. In fact, in many weddings, the bridesmaids look far better than the bride (strange, but true!). In this blog, we are not going to discuss why it is important for the bridesmaids to look gorgeous; instead, we are going to discuss the new trend that has emerged in the recent past, and that is ‘mismatched dresses’ for bridesmaids.
Bridesmaids’ dressing style has come a long way in the past few years. Gone are those days when every bridesmaid wore the same kind of gown or dress to her friend’s or sister’s wedding. In today’s era, brides are literally mixing it up by having the bridesmaids look scintillating in dresses with different fabrics, designs, necklines, and colors that make it look way more interesting and lovely. This kind of mixing and matching style has given birth to the concept called mismatched dresses. This trend allows you to highlight each bridesmaid’s style, and ensure that she is wearing attire that makes her feel really great. However, doing the mismatched look is quite challenging. If it is not done rightly, then you can end up with a very erratic looking bridal party. Don’t be disheartened because we have a few tips that can help you dress up your bridesmaids really well.
Tips to rock the mismatched bridesmaid look in a wedding:
- The length of the dresses must be same: Yes, it is true that the concept of mismatched dresses means all the bridesmaids would be wearing different kinds of dresses. But, do not make one bridesmaid wear a full-length maxi dress, and the other a short one. This is not going to look good. So, be very particular about the hem length. When you have mixed hems, it is really hard to create a cohesive look; so stick to one length.
- Vary just any two features: Mixing and matching doesn’t mean that all the features of every single bridesmaid’s dress would be different. Always try to choose any two features (maximum) that can be different in case of each and every bridesmaids’ dresses, and keep rest of the features same. For instance, keep different necklines and colors (in a pre-decided color palette), but use the same kind of fabric or vice-versa.
- Choose the color shades carefully: Different colored bridesmaid dresses are very popular these days. So, you can definitely try out this concept. What you can really do is ask the bridesmaid individually which color they like. When your bridesmaids will wear their favorite colored dresses, they’ll hands down rock their look more confidently.
- Don’t ask them to buy their own dress: Never ever ask your bridesmaids to buy their own gown or dress. For instance, if you tell your six girls to find a long pink dress, you may just end up seeing six different shades of pink, which will definitely not blend well. You might also come across different fabrics that won’t photograph in the same way. Do you want such awkward photographs? No way, isn’t it? That’s why; don’t give them the freedom to shop for themselves.
- Last but not the least: Forget the idea of selecting a dress that they can wear again and again. The fact is that no matter how pretty the dress is, they will always feel like a bridesmaid wearing it. Therefore, choose a dress that you like and they feel good in, and hopefully you both will enjoy them on your wedding day.
These were some of the tips that can help you doll up your bridesmaids in mismatched dresses. In case you have some other kind of creativity in your mind regarding your bridesmaids’ dresses, talk to your designer and then only apply it; but make sure the bridesmaids look really good.
Author bio – Lisa Lawrence is a fashion designer who is an expert in designing mismatched bridesmaid dresses for weddings. Her blogs will help you design perfect bridesmaids’ dresses really well.